Sunday, July 24, 2011

July 9, 2011 Mount Auburn Cemetery


July 9, 2011 Mount Auburn Cemetery

Nice day out, mild, late afternoon

So I headed back to Mount Auburn today to see if I could find the Black-Crowned Night Heron again. The cormorant was still there, however I did not get to see the heron again.  I did get to see something else cool though.  While by Willow Pond someone asked me if I had seen the Phoebe nest, which I had not. He directed me to where it was, at the twin ponds with the bridge over them, by the birdfeeder.  So I headed out there to see what was shaking, and easily found the nest.  Now let me say that this was NOT easy to photograph at all.  I was on a steep bank that goes down into the pond, photographing at an angle, trying to hold myself up, and get a decent shot.  Most of my early shots were not usable as they’re too dark.  I ended up using a flash, which did not seem to bother the parents in the least.  In fact even as I was only about 10’ away they still continued their flights in and out to feed their young hatchlings.
The nest itself was stuck to a stone wall underneath the bridge that covers the narrow span of water that joins to the two ponds.   It appeared to be constructed mainly of moss and dirt.  Nearby there were several stalactites that hung down from the underside of the bridge and were dripping moisture into the channel below.  There were four hatchlings in there when I observed them, and the parents were coming at intervals of about 120 seconds or so.  The babies were largely quiet except for one who frequently stuck his head out when not napping.  I could only get a good look at two of them that were the closest to me, however the all appeared healthy at the time.  The most vocal and active hatchling was getting most of the food, as is typical in these situations. 
                The day was quite nice even if I did not get to see the Heron again.  This is my first time observing a Phoebe nest, and was pretty cool to get to watch this part of their life cycle.  I have had a great stretch the last couple months with birdwatching and this just continues it.  I also have a video of the nest, here. 



               I ended up watching them for about an hour before packing up and heading home.  Here are a few more shots of the Phoebes:


 
Also since every trip I seem to be coming across a multitude of turtles, here’s one for the road:


No comments: