Wednesday, April 18, 2012

September 16, 2011 Mount Auburn Cemetery

What to do on a beautiful end-of-summer day, the day after I turn 30?  Go bird watching of course.   The day got started with a non-bird sighting;  I came across a fox just below the tower, and it ran off along a trail; here’s a picture.  I lost it shortly after this picture was taken. He looks like he’s in repose but in actuality he’s waiting to spring into action and lead me on a goose chase.
I didn’t resize it because I thought it made a nice picture.  It’s a bit over-exposed, but you can see him in the middle there.  After this I headed towards Auburn Lake and on the way ran into some Doves, and a camera shy flicker and an equally camera shy phoebe.  They actually were right next to each other, looking away from my camera the whole time.  Next I came across my first ever Wilson’s Warbler.  This thing was a pain to i.d. since it kept flitting around, but I got a couple good looks at it.  Unfortunately it was being rather uncooperative when I got my camera out. Long story short, who wants to look at a blurry Wilson’s Warbler chilling out with a nuthatch?  Hopefully you do, because that’s what the picture below is of.   


               I have to say that this was by far my most prolific year of bird watching. So many new species.  Probably because I have been doing it a lot more this year, and I’ve really gotten better identifying the transient Warblers, Flycatchers, and various sundry species that come through the area.   Growing up we had Audubon sanctuaries that we would drive to, or I could birdwatch on the flood plain on the other side of the dike in Westfield.  But back then I didn’t know how to time my trip requests so that my mom could take me during peak migration times and wot not.  I got to see the occasional Magnolia Warbler or Black & White Warbler in the yard at South Loomis Street, but by and large I never got to see many of the species that I have this year.   It helps too that there are swaths of birders at Mount Auburn.   I also have a DSLR camera and a lens capable of capturing good shots that I can put in this document for later perusal.   I have 1000s more where these shots came from as well.  It’s definitely increased my ability to ID things back at home if I’m stumped, but to also share with others, which increases my happiness.  Anytime I can share birds with someone I’m happier.


So carrying along I came to the opposite side of Auburn Lake (opposite the bird feeder) and there were several people there checking out warblers.  There was a Northern Parula Warbler, and a Redstart in autumn plumage; I had never seen one before, or more likely had never identified one before, so that was neat.  The Parula was an easy identification; it looks basically the same.  I wouldn’t have known the Redstart was a Redstart if someone hadn’t mentioned it.  In retrospect I can see the patterning under the tail.   I like the shots I got of both; they remind me a bit of poses you see in Audobon’s paintings.  First the Parula, and then the Redstart:



               Other sightings include a Red-Eyed Vireo; I believe it has a new name now, but growing up it was always known as the Red-Eyed Vireo, so I’ll stick with that.  The eyes themselves aren’t very red; this may have been a young one, as apparently their eyes take on more color as they grow up.   Here's a couple shots




In the middle of all this I got to watch a Red-Tailed Hawk tear apart a meal as well, and got a nice shot of him sitting atop a grave-stone perch.   There was also the omnipresent Robins, Flickers, Chickadees, and Nuthatches.  I’m assuming that this is probably the tail end of migration that I’m seeing right now.  It’s always somewhat wistful every year when this time comes, but honestly I’ve always enjoyed it.  Seeing the transitions in nature from Summer to Autumn is comforting in some way that I’ve never been able to fully express.  Regardless, I’ll transition into more fall activities; Apple picking, pumpkin carvings, and all that jazz.   Here’s the Red-Tail on a grave:




 Overall it was a great spring & summer of birding; and hopefully a great autumn to follow. 


No comments: