Tuesday, May 31, 2011

May 21, 2011 Saturday

Sunny, Mild, Breezy
                A nice day out, I had other work to do but didn’t want to pass up the opportunity for some bird-watching.  This is the peak of Warbler season, so I’m trying to get out as much as possible.   I went to the dell as usual, but I’m thinking of checking out some other areas next time.
                The first thing I saw as I walked along the high path around the dell was what I thought was a rose-breasted grosbeak male, but without the red patch.  I took several pictures, and when I got home I tried to identify it for several minutes.  I then realized that because of the shade it was in I could not see the blue back on it.  Once I realized the back was blue, I could identify it as my first ever sighting of a Black-Throated Blue Warbler.  It really is a beautiful bird.   The mallards were out enjoying the dell and eating the scum that has started to form on the top of the pond, as mallards are wont to do.  I also watched a titmouse take a bath at the edge in some fetid water. I can’t imagine that doing much. 
                Outside of the dell a bit, on the side where it opens up to the rest of the cemetery, I spotted a Magnolia Warbler in a large tree, as well as a Northern Parula Warbler.  Both were singing quite a bit, although I still haven’t seen any females of several warbler species yet this year.  Total sausage party.
                At this point I realized I had not seen the owls in about a week so I trekked over to their nest and saw that one of them had left the nest and gone up to a higher branch and was looking at the observers that gathered with what can only be described a  malevolent look.   There was a male Northern Oriole also bouncing about in the branches around the Owl nest, although they paid it no mind.  This particular male was very small however, I don’t recall seeing one quite this tiny in some time.  Still, it was quite photogenic, and I obliged nature and got a few pictures of it.  Circling overhead during all this were two Red-Tailed Hawks, I presume the parents.  I need to get over to their nest fairly soon.

                On my way back towards the dell I ran into some other birders who seemed to be tracking some unknown warbler at the top of some trees as it flitted back and forth.  I heard it singing, and the couple of people there seemed to be excited because apparently it was the song of a Bay-Breasted Warbler.  I have no ever-loving idea what a Bay-Breasted Warbler sounds like, but everyone else seemed pretty excited.   I  spotted and pointed out what looked like a rather large, odd-looking sparrow.  After the others spotted it they confirmed this was actually a Bay-Breasted Warbler.  I wish I had gotten a bit of a better look at it, it was quite interesting looking, very chestnut dominated warbler.  I just checked dictionary.com and apparently “bay” is a term for reddish-brown.  You learn something every day.  After this I carried on and spotted a Scarlet Tanager, which again avoided capture by my camera.  This bird is quickly becoming my vex.



            Also in the area was a Redstart, which I got one decent picture of.  I’ve always enjoyed them, back when I was younger they were among the first warbler I learned to identify.  It was sitting near the top of a tree, singing contentedly.  Also at some point I apparently snapped pictures of another Warbler, but did not realize until later (I’m writing this after the  24th when I saw what I thought was my first ever Canada Warbler) that it was a Canada Warbler.

No comments: